Monday, February 10, 2014

Homemade Deodorant

For years I used high dollar deodorant. I tried every kind out there it seemed. Clear gel, solids, clinical strength, I tried them. (The one kind I didn't try was men's though. I just didn't want to have that manly deodorant smell.). I noticed that the cost of the deodorant had nothing to do with it's effectiveness either.  Admittedly, I'm a sweat-er and I was in search of something strong and functional. So, a few years ago I went on a search for a diy deodorant. There had to be something out there that worked better than what I'd bought, right?
In my research, I learned how the aluminum in commercial deodorants is not safe for our skin and bodies. There are mixed views out there on this topic. Do the research and decide for yourself what is best for you to use. I prefer my homemade deodorant mostly because it WORKS! It has passed the test on 100°+ summer days. That is enough proof for me to keep using it.
The ingredients are not hard to find and many of you probably have these on hand anyway. I use Bob's Red Mill baking soda.

The recipe for homemade deodorant:
1/4 cup baking soda (shouldn't have aluminium)
1/4 cup Arrowroot powder
5-6 Tablespoons of coconut oil (can add more depending on the consistency you are looking for)
Several drops of essential oil of choice (tea tree and lavender are my favorite right now)


Combine baking soda and arrowroot powder


Slowly add in coconut oil. I stir in three tablespoons at a time.

After all the coconut oil has been combined, add your essential oils

The consistency should be like frosting.  Don't eat it. ;-)

Now store it in a pretty jar
 I apply my deodorant using my hands. This does not bother me at all, but I know it will gross some people out. You can buy clean deodorant containers or clean an old one out and just fill it with your handmade mixture. I have tried this and it did not work well for me. It may work for you, but I'm going to keep slathering it on with my hands.

Just a note** This deodorant can and will melt in warm temperatures. It is OK and does not ruin it. This is because of the coconut oil. If this should happen to you, put your container of deodorant in the fridge until solid again. You can leave it there , but it needs to soften a bit before using.




3 comments:

Holly S said...

Few questions for you...first, found your blog through Becki Higgins link to your IG for soap...a bit of a round about..sorry! Anyway back to the deodorant...I sweat a lot..I mean a lot due to meds I take-how does it do on keeping the sweat at bay? It sounds like there will be no odor so that's good!! I am also curious if when you put it on do you rub it all in, or just swipe it on top of the skin? Also is it sticky feeling? Sorry about all the questions! Thanks...now to find your etsy store and look at the soap!

Alyce said...

Hi Holly. The deodorant is not sticky. It may feel a little greasy or oily at first, but once absorbed into your skin it is fine. I do rub it in. And I sweat quite a bit too and it really helps!

Blogger said...

3 Studies SHOW How Coconut Oil Kills Fat.

This means that you actually burn fat by eating Coconut Fat (including coconut milk, coconut cream and coconut oil).

These 3 researches from major medicinal journals are sure to turn the conventional nutrition world upside down!