Thursday, September 26, 2013

Guest Room Makeover

*Warning--- lots of pictures!*

I have already blogged about our guest room once before. I was looking for ideas then to spruce up that room. That was a few years ago and this is basically what the room looked liked up until a couple of weeks ago.

We actually had been dealing with a leak for a few years. After several "repairs" and numerous contractors over those few years, we were finally able to determine that the cause of the leak was coming from the window in that room. So naturally we had to have the window replaced. Well, it sounded like a great opportunity to make-over that room----again!

This time I really wanted to make the room brighter and more calming. I want my guests to feel relaxed and well rested. In order to brighten the room, the navy roman shades need to go and the furniture needed a face lift. That chest of drawers was my husband's grandmother's. I had to really convince him to let me paint it. 

The bed did not have a headboard and we could never find one that we loved. Then we came across an old bi-fold door that I knew would work perfectly.  All it needed was some paint. I had been holding onto a can of Annie Sloan Duck Egg Blue chalk paint for months..just waiting for the perfect piece to use it on. 

This is  the door before I painted it. 

 And here it is after, used as a headboard.
See that chest of drawers...I love it painted in Duck Egg blue! Painting just that piece brightened the room so much.
I took out the old nightstands and added these vintage suitcases. They make pretty cool bedside tables. 
Old books
Found an older fan in the perfect color for this room.
Chocolate for my guests :)
Sweet corner to rock and read.
This picture used to hang above the bed. I found it at a thrift store years ago and still like it a lot. I just moved it to another wall. 
Looking into the redesigned guestroom.
A better look at the painted chest of drawers.
Crisp and bright.

There are still a few more things left do. We want to rip up the carpet and install laminate wood flooring. We also need to touch up the paint in a couple of spots. I might even hang some white plates on the wall above the suitcases. We really like how the room turned out. Hope you did too!






1 comment:

Allyssa said...

I love the old fan! Super cute!