Friday, September 13, 2013

Porch Sitting

We have a pretty partial wrap around porch on the front of our house that we just don't use often enough. Why---I don't really know!  The sides of the porch are wider than along the front which allows for a little more variety. I had been wanting to create a cozy outdoor sitting area for a long time. A place where  we could use for school, just relaxing, or entertaining our friends with a cup of coffee or glass of tea. I really did not spend a lot of money either. I love that I was able to repurpose a few items I already had on hand.



This is what the porch area looked like before.


And here is the completed after photo.

It turned out so cozy and pretty. We have really enjoyed this new space.  It has been nice to sit out here for homeschool or just taking a break and reading a book. Many mornings I've come out here for my quiet time to read the Bible and devotions. My daughter has even mentioned having her birthday party out here..complete with a sleep over on the porch!

Tree stump my husband cut for me. 
Another tree stump--used as a side table. The lamp is an old  one I had hiding in a closet. So glad I kept it! 
This is an old army cot my in-laws had stored away. A few pillows and a blanket make it a great napping place. These pretty yellow pillows are from Angela of Button Bird Designs.  If you have not checked out her blog and Etsy shop, do so now!  She has awesome ideas and she is a sweet heart too. The rug was being used inside. Glad to repurpose it for the porch. 
What porch is complete without the latest issue of Southern Living?
And old window gives an otherwise boring corner a little character. I took a wooden apple crate I've had for years and spray painted it. Now it holds magazines at the bottom and a plant on top. 
I found these curtains on the clearance aisle at Walmart. Less than $5 each! My husband made a curtain rod and now we welcome the warm, gentle breezes.

And that's the porch tour. It was a lot of fun putting this space together and I love how the whole family enjoys it too!


2 comments:

Tiffany Harper said...

I love love love it! It turned out so great. I am jealous that you have a porch. It is my dream to have one when we get a house. Thanks for sharing!

Thankful Home said...

Looks very cozy-can't wait to sit out there and sip tea! You did a great job decorating too!