Friday, October 17, 2008

German Chocolate Pecan Pie

It appears I've got pie on my mind again! This recipe is just sinfully rich..but ohhh so good! I took this recipe from this month's issue of Southern Lady, well just the filling part. My pictures aren't that great this time...you'll just have to make your own to get a better look!

German Chocolate Pecan Pie

Use a crust for a 9 inch deep dish. You can use a store bought crust or use the recipe here.

Filling:
1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
1/2 cup light corn syrup
1/2 cup dark corn syrup
1/4 cup butter, melted
3 large eggs
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 cups pecan halves
3/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1 1/2 cups sweetened flaked coconut.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Put crust in deep dish pie plate, trim edges, fold under and crimp. Bake for 8 minutes and set aside.
In a large bowl, combine the sugar and corn syrups. Add melted butter, eggs, vanilla and salt. Whisk until well combined. Stir in pecans. Sprinkle chocolate chips on the bottom of crust, evenly. Then sprinkle coconut on top of chocolate chips. Pour pecan mixture on top of coconut. Bake for 1 hour or until center is set. Cover w/ foil last 10 minutes if needed to prevent excess browning. Cool completely before serving (this is the hardest part!).



8 comments:

Robin Lynne said...

You know, that would probably make an AWESOME smelling soap scent... :P

Looks good - I need to get over my piephobia!

Shannon said...

You make a lot of pies and they always look perfect!! :) I need to practice.

Tam said...

OOOO that looks so good! Drooling is not good for my keyboard ya know! YOUR PICTURES look really good!!!

Toia said...

OH MY GOODNESS!! If you said your pics are not doing your pie any justice, I would love to see it in person. As far as I am concern, your pie looks yummy-licious!!! I must try this recipe. Thanks for sharing and God bless.

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Hi, Alyce, thanks for the heads up on salmon in the pouch, I will look for it next time. Just didn't think about that, but I know they have tuna in a pouch. We love those simple salmon patties for a good meal. Thank you for stopping by! Your recipes look delish.

Empty Nest Full Life said...

Alyce, thanks for stopping by. Just to let you know, the sealer step is necessary. I tried running water over it, and it washes off without the sealer. Just remember that can of sealer will go a long way too. I'll be back to check out all of your yummy recipes. Jackie.

Empty Nest Full Life said...

The sealer that I am going to use, I have had forever, so that tells you it will last a long time. It is made by Plaid and says clear acrylic sealer matte. I have seen spray sealers in the craft section at wal-mart. Jackie

Shannon said...

Yes, it is a magnet and I did not put the glass back on. It wouldn't fit. :)