Thursday, April 25, 2013

Gluten Free Chocolate Layer Cake

I don't bake very often anymore, but when I do, I sometimes go all out. I usually want more than a brownie or a cookie. I also love to try new and fun desserts. My favorite dessert is chocolate cake. I just love it! Because we try to limit our sugar intake, this was a very special treat for us.  

This cake is not a fluffy cake like a Devil's Food would be, but rather dense, yet moist. Next time I experiment, I will be trying to develop one that is fluffier, but honestly, this hit the spot. It was delicious. I just used a familiar chocolate buttercream frosting to ice between the layers and on the top and sides. You just can't go wrong with buttercream frosting! My only problem is that I always misjudge and I end up not putting enough frosting between the layers. There is always plenty on top so that allows for a lot of spreading :). 

Cake recipe:

2 1/2 Cups white rice flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 Tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon xanthan gum
3/4 cup cocoa

Whisk all the dry ingredients together in a medium bowl and set aside.

1 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup oil
1 cup fresh coffee
1 teaspoon vanilla

Whisk all the wet ingredients together in a bowl and set aside.

2 cups of sugar
4 large eggs

Beat the sugar and eggs in an electric mixer bowl. Add the flour mixture and the milk mixture to the sugar/eggs alternately and gradually.  Be sure to mix well..stopping the mixer and scraping down the sides and through the bottom often. Once mixed thoroughly, pour the batter evenly into 2 round cake pans that have been greased and floured.  Bake in a preheated oven at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes. Test the center for doneness.  Cool completely on wire racks before frosting.

For the frosting, choose your favorite one to use. Again, chocolate buttercream is perfect for this cake.
See how dense the cake is? It really was so delicious and we, a family of four, ate it all in three days! Another reason I don't bake often!!

So try this gluten free dessert and let me know what you think.
 






2 comments:

Larri said...

Visiting your blog for the first time after meeting you on Twitter. :) Very nice!

I wonder if you separated the eggs & whipped the whites to fold into the batter, if that would make a difference in the fluffiness factor of the cake. It looks beautiful & tasty as is, though. Happy Baking!

Anonymous said...

Where do you buy xanthan gum?